Tumbling and gymnastics are similar in many aspects. These athletes need skills to land the right way. To absorb impacts, both sports make heavy use of mats.
These mats are different in many aspects in order to meet the requirements of these sports. Their size varies depending on the purpose of the mat.
Other topics we are going to talk are tumbling mats prices, safety, thickness and their structure – which are similar to the gymnastics one.
Top 3 Tumbling Mats (summary)
Thick 4×8 Tumbling Mat with Hook and Loop Fasteners (Check out on Amazon) – Our Pick
Tumbl Trak Tumbling Panel Mat, 4ft x 8ft (Check out on Amazon)
Incline Cheese Wedge Skill Shape Tumbling Mat (Check out on Amazon)
|(CLICK ON THE LINK OR IMAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION)||Type||Price||Rating|
|Crosslink PE Foam Core||Folding Panel||$$||4.8|
|Tumbl Trak Tumbling Panel Mat||Folding Panel||$$$||4.8|
|Everlast Folding Exercise Mat||Folding Panel||$||4.7|
|Folding Panel||Folding Panel||$$||4.3|
|ECR4Kids Tumbling Mat||Kids||$$||3.9|
|Children's Gymnastics Cartwheel||Kids||$||4.1|
|Folding Crash Landing Mat Pad||Landing||$$$$||4.3|
|Folding Incline Cheese Wedge||Incline||$$||4.8|
5 Things To Consider When Buying Best Tumbling Mat Have
The average size of these mats is 2 ft by 4 ft, but they tend to vary in terms of color, size and weight.
The average size of mats designed for competition in gymnastics is 39in by 39in.
The same type of most mats designed for tumbling is 7 ft wide by 39 ft long.
When it comes to structure, the mats designed for both sports are similar.
Either rubber shell or PVC are used to cover the foam filling, which is standard and bonded.
Elite gymnasts use built-in sprung mats of international standard, which are basically layers of carpet, foam and playwood in order to get further rebound.
Basic tumbling and gymnastics mats are sold on the market for around $500, and they are put away and laid out at home, gym and schools.
Sprung mats designed for international competition are tailor-made, and you need to call the mat’s manufacturer in order to purchase one.
In both sports, the thickness of these foam mats ranges from one to three inches.
The size of a tumbling track or spring floor for gymnastics that are manufactured for competition vary from seller to seller – either the competition venue or gymnasium may have them custom-made.
The layer of the floor in these carpets has a thickness of 2 inches.
Gymnastics uses safety mats regularly, and they feature foam filling along with PVC or leather surface.
Their density tends to vary, and competition mats are firmer, which allows for a better landing.
At their run’s bottom, tumbling tracks tend to be soft for landing purposes. The safety mats used in tumbling are also used in gymnastics.
We have talked about many interesting aspects of tumbling mats, which are similar to gymnastics mats.
The price of these mats is around $500, and mats manufactured for competition purposes tend to be custom-made.
Manufacturers utilize either rubber shell or PVC in order to cover the foam filling of these mats.
It is important to say that the average size of these mats varies in terms of color, weight and size.
To get an additional rebound, elite gymnasts use spring mats of standards recognized overseas – those built-in rugs are basically layers of foam, carpet and plywood.
Remember that the average size of a mat designed for competition in gymnastics is only 39 inches by 39 inches, but tumbling mats measure 7 ft wide by 39 ft long.
When it comes to thickness, it varies from one manufacturer to another manufacturer but it tends to range from 1 inch to 3 inches.
3 Best Tumbling Mats – Pros & Cons
- 1.5″ and 2″ Thick Gymnastics Tumbling Exercise Martial Arts Yoga Pilates Folding Mats.
- 4′ x 8′ mat constructed with Crosslink Polyethylene Foam.
- Folds into 4 sections for easy carry and storage.
- Heavy Duty 18oz. Vinyl Covering.
- Hook and Loop Fasteners on all 4 sides makes it easy to connect mats together in any configuration.
- Tumbl Trak Tumbling Mats are the highest quality gymnastic mats available on the market today
- Each mat offers 2 ft wide folding panels in a variety of colors with Velcro on two ends
- Our Tumbling Mats are made with 18 oz. vinyl and industry standard, cross-linked polyethylene foam
- The non-skid material on the bottom of the mat prevents it from sliding or moving when in use
- They do not contain lead and have passed testing requirements enacted by the Consumer Protection Safety Improvement Act of 2008
- Our colorful incline mats come in four size choices. The smallest is a non-folding mat measuring 33″x24″x14″. Due to it’s small size, it is recommended for kids no older that 5 years of age. The next size is our medium folding measuring 60″x30″x15″. Our large folding incline measures 72″x36″x16″ and our XXL folding incline mat measures a whopping 120″x60″x24″.
- Made from tough high quality 18 oz. vinyl.
- Choose from three colors including Rainbow, Pink, and Blue.
- Commercial grade construction makes this mat an excellent choice for gymnastics studios or home use.
- Handles on sides makes each mat easy to carry.
- Top 3 Tumbling Mats (summary)
- 5 Things To Consider When Buying Best Tumbling Mat Have
- 3 Best Tumbling Mats – Pros & Cons